This recipe from Rachel Ray takes the caramel apple to the next level. Crisp fall apples, infused with the flavors of caramel, honey and vanilla. What a treat! Make some for your upcoming Halloween party.
- 6 medium red apples, such as braeburn, cortland or fuji, chilled
- ice water
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Skewer each apple at stem end with a popsicle stick or thick bamboo skewer.
- Fill a large bowl about one-quarter full with ice water
- In a 4 quart, heavy saucepan, heat the cream and salt over medium high heat until steaming. Stir in the honey and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium and continue to boil, stirring constantly, until the mixture reads 260 degrees on a candy thermometer (about 30 minutes). Remove pan from heat and stir in the vanilla. Place pan in ice bath and stir the caramel until thick enough to coat the apples without running off (about 5 minutes).
- Wipe any condensation off the chilled apples and working one at a time, dip into the saucepan, twirling to coat.
- Place the caramel apples on the lined baking sheet and refrigerate at least 20 minutes before serving.
Leave a comment