"Honey is more than just a sweetener, naturally." - R. Fessenden, M.D.
Raw honey and refined white sugar are both sweeteners and are both calorie dense foods. But when feeding your sweet tooth, there is no question that raw honey is better for you than white sugar. Here are 5 reasons why:
1. Honey is sweeter, so you can use less
2. Raw honey does not spike your blood sugar like white sugar does
Raw honey and white sugar are both carbohydrates. And they both contain two primary sugars: fructose and glucose. But white sugar is 100% sugars (50% fructose and 50% glucose), while raw honey is about 85% sugars with fructose and glucose ratios that vary with each honey variety. The remaining 15% of honey is water, pollen and trace nutrients. Because of this different makeup, white sugar is absorbed into the body and blood at a faster rate than honey. Sugar absorption is measured by the glycemic index (GI). White sugar has a GI of 65, while most floral varieties of raw honey have a GI that ranges from 35 to 55. This means that raw honey will provide more even levels of energy, over a longer period of time, as compared to white sugar. Generally, raw honey with a higher percentage of fructose as compared to glucose will have a lower glycemic index. In addition, these higher fructose honey varieties, such as tupelo honey, will crystallize at a slower rate as compared to other raw honey varieties that contain more glucose.
3. Raw honey contains additional, important nutrients
Have you ever heard the phrase: "White sugar is empty calories?" That's because white sugar contains sugars and nothing else. But raw honey contains additional nutrients, including amino acids, enzymes, vitamins and minerals. These phytochemicals have anti-microbial, anti-fungal, and anti-oxidant properties which can contribute to a stronger immune system and better health and wellness.
4. Consuming raw honey provides added health benefits
5. Raw honey tastes better than white sugar
Okay, so this one is a no-brainer. White sugar tastes like . . . white sugar. But raw honey is so much more that just a sweetener. The flavors and complexities of raw honey are varied and wonderful. From the light, vanilla tones of acacia honey, to the fruity-floral surprise of tupelo honey, to the strong and assertive flavor of buckwheat honey, each honey variety is interesting and unique. It's hard to pick just one as a favorite, so we encourage you to try as many as you can. Sometimes, customers ask us for "regular honey" because they do not want any "flavored honey." We respond that all of our raw, liquid honey varieties are completely natural - nothing is added and nothing is subtracted. The different and delicious flavor varieties of raw honey come from the different types of plant nectar that the bees are collecting. Through science and a bit of magic, the bees convert this nectar into raw honey which then delights and nourishes honey lovers all over the world.
For more articles about raw honey and your health, check out our wellness blog.
QuALITY HONEY AND FAIR PRICES
At Smiley Honey, we offer a great selection of raw honey varieties and at reasonable prices. If you are having trouble selecting just one or two honey types, then why not try one of our sampler packs?
Is It OK to Eat Raw Honey Everyday?
YES! Raw honey is a natural wonder that can be consumed regularly. It's a delicious delicacy with many health advantages and is a better substitute for refined sugar.
What Kind of Sugar is in Raw Honey?
The sugar in honey is mostly natural components like fructose and glucose. These sugars come with a side of antioxidants, enzymes, and vitamins. Thinking about; Is Honey Better Than Sugar? It's unquestionably a healthier choice than processed sugar.
Why Does Raw Honey Say Added Sugar?
The ‘added sugar’ label on raw honey is a bit misleading. It refers to the natural sugars found in honey, not to additional ones. Overall, honey is a full-fledged foodstuff that doesn't need any extra sweeteners.
Is the Sugar in Raw Honey Good for You?
The sugar in honey is different from refined sugar. It comes with a range of health benefits, from supporting your immune system to soothing a sore throat. So, yes, it's good for you in moderation. In the equation of Honey vs Sugar, honey definitely is a preferable choice in every aspect.
Is a Spoonful of Raw Honey a Day Good for You?
A spoonful of honey a day can indeed be good for you. It provides a natural energy boost, aids digestion, and may even help with allergies. Plus, it's a delicious way to sweeten your life without the guilt of excess sugar.